Sunday, June 28, 2009

Polenta with Sauteed Kale and Pearl Onions

Well, here I am posting another recipe and not a race report. Who am I?

I'm not entirely sure about that yet, but what I do know is that although we've never had polenta before, we will most certainly be having it again.

In the CSA pickup on Friday, we got kale and red pearl onions (among other things). I wasn't sure what to do with them, but then remembered that I had a recipe for Polenta Rounds with Steamed Greens & Leeks from my vegetarian cooking class. Although it wasn't exactly right, I hoped it might work.

Instead of using pre-cooked polenta from a tube (like frozen cookie dough), I decided to try to make polenta from scratch. I followed the directions on the package, and it was great!

Here's the recipe for the kale & red onions:

4 red onions, both bulbs and greens, thinly sliced
one bunch kale, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
olive oil
red pepper flakes

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add red onions and saute 5 minutes or until soft. Reduce heat to low and cook 10-15 minutes until they start to caramelize.

Add kale, garlic, and red pepper and continue sauteeing until kale starts to wilt.

To serve, place a mound of greens on a slice of polenta. Optional: top with grated parmsean cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

Tomorrow Geoff & I are going to make Herbed Couscous with Garlic Scrapes and Hakurei Turnips!

No comments: