Friday, July 31, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend in Vermont

Nearly every Memorial Day weekend for the past couple of years, several of our cycling friends have gone up to Stowe, VT. Most of us go for the cycling, but some go running, shopping and occasionally, canoeing and wine tasting.

Once again we stayed at Ye Olde England Inne, where they feed us wonderful big breakfasts to keep the energy up while on the bike.

This year Michele & Todd joined us and since ML brought her road bike, I had friends to ride with so I didn't have to try to stay with the "big boys" while they climbed 2 or 3 mountain gaps in the course of 110 miles... ;-)

On Saturday ML, Michele, Todd and I rode 38 miles from Stowe to Lake Elmore and back. We stopped at the "Lake Elmore Beauty Spot" for a photo op.

Saturday was also Todd's 40th birthday. We celebrated with a surprise ice cream cake.

On Sunday, some of the boys were feeling like a more mellow road ride, so Michele and I cycled with Geoff, Todd, Justin and Dave. We did a 43 mile loop from Stowe that ended by climbing over Smuggler's Notch. It took a while to get up there, but it was worth it. The scenery was so beautiful - huge giant boulders and twisty road. The descent was a blast too. I only hit 49 mph (I think my all time maximum speed is 52 mph), but it was still thrilling.


That night we all went to the Flatbread Kitchen in Waitsfield for dinner and celebrated Justin's 30th birthday and ML's (undisclosed) birthday.

That's Michele modeling with the pizza.

(Photo by Geoff)


On Monday Geoff & I and Scott & ML rode together and stopped for photos of shaggy cows and miniature horses. Geoff also got kissed by a cow.

(Thanks to ML for the photo!)

It was a lovely way to spend a long holiday weekend.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I'm so envious that Geoff got a cow kiss. I don't think Massachusetts cows are that affectionate, but maybe I can find one who will give me a smooch.