Friday, April 16, 2010

Road to Recovery

If you read this blog, you may have noticed that I haven't posted about cycling since November. This is because I have been off the bike since then, sidelined by a herniated disc between the L5 and S1 vertebrae.

It was a very difficult winter. The lack of sunlight and the cold get to me every year, but I am usually able to counter that by playing outside - snowboarding, cross country skiing, and either riding off-road or on, depending on the conditions. Unfortunately, all of those options were out this winter. I couldn't even walk for more than 20 minutes with out uncomfortable symptoms.

The only thing that kept me sane was yoga. It was the one activity, if done carefully enough, that allowed me to stay active and keep my body flexible. The rest of my time was spent on the couch in front of the television, or (on a more positive note) discovering new recipes and experimenting with locavore eating thanks to the Red Fire Farm Deep Winter CSA share.

I'm posting today, because yesterday was my first day on a "real" bike since October 31st. I rode my winter road bike to and from work yesterday and it felt just wonderful! I have been riding my upright commuter bike (to commute) a few times a week for the last couple of weeks, with every ride feeling better and getting stronger. Yesterday was a nice day and I didn't have a lot to carry, so I thought I'd see how it felt on a road bike.

It was the first time in the last 5 months that I've felt hopeful that I'm putting the worst behind me and that I am really and truly on the road to recovery!

No comments: