Sunday, February 22, 2009

Last minute decision

When I was planning my weekend, the forecast for Saturday was high wind and for Sunday they were predicting snow. Since I had a 1pm hair appointment on Saturday, I decided to do a trainer workout and planned to snowshoe or xc ski on Sunday.

I was surprised to wake up Sunday morning to see that it was dry. Unfortunately I had slept really late, wasting most of the dry time, as the rain was due to start around noon.

I wasn't sure what to do - I thought about going to the gym to do a session on a spin bike, but after being on the trainer twice this week, I didn't really want another day indoors. In the meantime, Geoff had gotten dressed and ready to ride, which helped to inspire me to get out on the road while I could. I scurried around getting ready, found my Showers Pass rain jacket, and put the fenders on.

I thought that I'd just do an hour or an hour and a half, so I headed out through Belmont and Lexington into Lincoln. I planned to loop back through Waltham, but I was having a really nice ride and it wasn't raining yet, so instead I turned towards Sudbury and Wayland.

About 15 minutes after I made that decision, it started raining. It was really gentle at first and I almost didn't notice. Then after a while I realized that my glasses and computer screen were wet, then finally my legs felt clammy and chilly.

At 1.5 hours I stopped near a flock of shaggy sheep to have some Sport Beans (and take a picture). It was a mistake, though, because it made me very cold and I lost my ability to spin fast.

I headed straight home from there, but it still left me with at 2.5 hour ride for the day - about twice as long as I thought I'd do when I left the house.

No comments: