Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fortune Cookie

I went to lunch with ML today and we got fortune cookies afterward. I really like fortune cookies and usually the fortune is sort of generic and could apply to anyone, like "Good things will come your way" or "Something you lost will soon turn up."

The one I got today was rather specific. It said,
"You will move to a wonderful new home within the year."

I found it a bit ominous, actually...

Although... who wouldn't love to move into a "wonderful new home"? Isn't that the American Dream? A "new" home every 5 years? Or less?

I've lived in my townhouse for 10 years. It's the longest that I've ever lived in one home. When I was a kid, I lived in the same house from half of 5th through the end of 12th grade. I think that's only 6.5 years. Then early in my time of living and working in Boston I lived in an apartment in Malden for 7 years. That was about 5 years too long to live in Malden, but that's a different story.

This townhouse, though, hmm... I hadn't really realized how long it had been until recently. 10 years is quite some time, especially for someone with chronically itchy feet. I had lived in two different countries and went to three different schools by the age of 11. When I moved to Boston to go to university, I never dreamed I'd still be living here so many years later. Sometimes I wonder if moving back to Boston after living in London was a mistake. I wonder where I could have ended up if I had chosen a different path. Colorado? Oregon? Germany? Australia? Scotland?

It's hard to say, because it's not possible to turn back the clock and do it all over again.

And as much as I would love the opportunity to pick up my feet and head to a new life in a new place, I do still love my townhouse and my life here in Boston with all the friends I have made over the years here and all the people who I love... and I really don't want to be living in a "wonderful new home within the year."

It's a scary thought and I don't want to go there right now.

No comments: